These crisp zucchini “fries” are a crisp, healthy side or perfect as a snack!
Zucchini is a great low-carb substitute for french fries
One of the hardest things to give up on my low-carb journey was potatoes. I grew up with fried potatoes, indulged on the frequent order of french fries, and loved a loaded baked potato. It’s still my favorite vegetable, but I know they are loaded with carbs. These crispy baked zucchini fries do it for me.
Zucchini is much healthier and a great potato alternative!
How many carbs are in zucchini?
Did you know?
- Zucchini is much lower in carbs (about 4g per zucchini)
- you can load Zucchini with the same toppings as potatoes
- It works great in baked casseroles and are delicious with cheese, so long as they’re not overcooked
- Zucchini fries are amazing for dipping sauces (bye, bye Mr. Potato Chip and Ms. Tortilla chip!)
How do I make crispy zucchini fries?
The first time I tried to make zucchini fries, they turned out so-so. I’ve been making them for years now, and the secret is getting them good and dry before their egg wash and dipping.
Prior to dipping them in the cheese mixture, make sure to pat the zucchini dry with a paper towel to prevent sogginess. You’ll want to serve these immediately after removing from the oven, as to preserve their crisp.
What cheese do I use for baked zucchini fries?
I went with a combo of Pecorino Romano cheese and Parmesan cheese here, but feel free to experiment according to your favorite sharp cheese. It adds a punch of flavor to the whole mix and tastes super yummy.
Tips for making zucchini fries
Be sure to keep an eye out for your spice/cheese mix, as the dipped zucchini tends to take up a bunch. If that’s the case, you’ll be replenishing your blend of spices before they’re all dredged. Keep the cheeses and spices near by just in case.
Crisp Baked Zucchini Fries
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese
- 4 tsp parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 420ºF.
- Cut zucchini in half, then those halves in half (lengthwise) until each zucchini yields 8 pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cheeses and seasonings.
- Coat pan with cooking spray. Dip zucchini into egg, then seasoning mixture, and add to pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes flipping half way through.
If you like crisp baked zucchini, you’ll love:
- Mediterranean Shrimp and Zoodles
- Zoodle Lo Mein Stir Fry (keto and low carb)
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken & Zucchini
- Salmon and Cheesy Asparagus Meal
- Chicken “noodle” soup
This recipe was inspired by a Parmesan-Crusted Chicken recipe from AllRecipes.com.
Leave a Reply