When in need of a fast dinner, make carne asada tacos! This 3-minute pressure cooker Instant Pot Carne Asada recipe has saved the day so many times when I’ve been in a pinch. Serve with low carb tortillas, coleslaw or in a cheese shell for keto diets!
This delicious recipe is a hit at our house and we often serve carne asada tacos right alongside flavorful Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
To make this simple recipe, I marinated my flank steak overnight in a zippered bag with my carne asada sauce. You may also use skirt steak.
I also add a large can of sliced jalapeño peppers to the pressure cooker. If you’re not a fan of jalapeño, try bell peppers, poblano peppers or sweet peppers/onions instead.
Pre-made vs. homemade carne asada marinade
If you’re crunched for time, I recommend grabbing a pre-made sauce from your local grocer.
However, if you’ve got the time to pre-make your sauce, try combining
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- orange and lime juice
- garlic cloves
- jalapeño or poblano peppers
How to make instant pot carne asada
- Marinate steak overnight in a zippered bag with carne asada sauce
- Add beef, marinade and peppers to pressure cooker/ Instant Pot and cook at high pressure for 25 minutes
- Release (vent) pressure and serve with taco shells, street-style cauliflower or as fajitas
Instead of low-carb tortillas, simple add your carne asada to a roasted pepper, a salad or with a crispy cheese tortilla shell.
How do I make carne asada chicken or pork?
To make this recipe with chicken or pork, simply sub these meats for the steak. If using chicken/pork filets, only pressure cook for 8 minutes and release (vent) when finished.
What can I add to carne asada tacos?
Peppers, coleslaw, cheese or chopped cabbage are great toppings for low carb carne asada.
Cilantro, salsa and red onion make great toppings for carne asada tacos. I love this spicy salsa verde recipe.
How to make juicy carne asada every time
Marinating the beef overnight is the trick to getting the most juicy carne asada. If you’re really short on time, I recommend at least marinating for 2 hours in the refrigerator prior to cooking.
Instant Pot Carne Asada
Easy Instant Pot Carne Asada Ingredients
- 1 bottle carne asada marinade or mojo sauce optional, see homemade recipe below
- 2 lb flank steak or skirt/roast steak
- 28 oz jalapenos canned, or fresh peppers
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- Marinate carne asada sauce and steak overnight in zippered bag.
- Add all ingredients, including whole steak, to instant pot and pressure cook on high pressure for 28 minutes.
- Vent (release) pressure and serve on tortillas or salad. Top with cilantro and red onion.