This low carb chicken stew is a hearty comfort food made easily in the instant pot and inspired by Cuban cuisine.
How do I make a low-carb chicken stew in the Instant Pot?
This quick and easy low-carb soup is made with Cuban inspiration and it’s keto friendly too!
One of my favorite dishes is chicken fricassee, but it does have a lot of carbs with all those potatoes and it’s typically served over rice.
Instead of potatoes, I used a few carrots and cauliflower for a more keto friendly stew.
And, did I mention this is a quick recipe?
You’re literally throwing ingredients into an Instant Pot/pressure cooker for a few minutes and this recipe makes itself!
What ingredients can I use for low carb chicken stew?
This chicken stew uses the following ingredients.
- chicken thighs
- tomato sauce
- yellow onion
- mojo seasoning (this is essential, as it really brings out that Cuban flare!)
- adobo seasoning (as a marinade for the chicken thighs)
- and chicken broth
The mojo marinade and adobo seasonings give the chicken it’s Cuban / Puerto Rican flare and flavor!
The best low carb / keto vegetables for chicken stew:
No cauliflower? Substitute for sliced radishes or tomatoes and chiles.
No carrots? Substitute for green beans.
How long do I cook chicken stew in the Instant Pot?
You’ll cook this cuban chicken stew on high pressure for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes (no vent) with natural release for this stew.
Speaking of Instant Pot Stews, you may want to try our hearty Instant Pot Beef and Cabbage Soup too.
How long do I need to marinate my chicken thighs?
Do you want to marinate your chicken thighs and mojo seasoning mix for at least 2 hours prior to cooking in the Instant Pot.
Do I need to remove fat before braising the chicken thighs?
This is completely based on preference.
Personally, I do not like the texture, so I remove most of the chicken thigh fat before cooking.
Can I make this Cuban-inspired stew with bone-in chicken thighs?
And, the savory chicken will literally fall off the bone!
I often leave the bone in my chicken, as it gives a more robust flavor to the soup.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, freeze for up to three months in an airtight freezer bag.
Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on the stove top.
Take care to get all the air bubbles out of the bag when freezing this stew.
What can I serve with keto chicken stew?
Typically, a Cuban-style stew like this would be served over white rice, but that’s just too many carbs. Typically, Fricasse de Pollo is served over rice.
I like to eat mine with a side salad or with a few cheese crisps.
You may also leave the cauliflower florets and instead serve this stew over keto-friendly cauliflower rice.
Like creamy stew? Add a block of cream cheese after pressure cooking.
Like a spicy soup? Add some peppers or jalapeño.
Not into cauliflower? Add kale, broccoli or green beans.
Tomato lover? Add extra stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes and chiles to your stew.
Keto Chicken Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 4 chicken thighs fat removed
- 2 tbsp Adobo seasoning (I used Goya brand)
- 2 cups cauliflower chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- ½ cup manzanilla olives (with 1/4 c. juice too)
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth (or stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- Add olive oil to IP/pressure cooker. Set Instant Pot or pressure cooker to sauté-high setting. Add chicken thighs and sauté for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Add onions / garlic / Adobo seasoning and flip chicken once more, incorporating ingredients.
- Add in other veggies.
- Top with tomato sauce, olives, chicken broth and bay leaf until vegetables are just submerged.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes and natural release for at least 10 minutes, then vent.
You may also like…
Leave a Reply