The perfect low carb fall dessert: keto friendly spice cake with maple bourbon glaze and cream cheese frosting. Perfect for breakfast or dessert.
How do I make keto spice cake?
Traditional spice cake has, well, a lot of spices. I tried to cut out as many ingredients as possible, making this an easy and fast spice cake recipe. You’ll need baking powder, eggs, almond flour and cream cheese for this recipe.
And, of course, the fabulous 5 spices that make up our cake.
You’ll need a total of 5 spices:
- ground cloves
Which cake pan should I use?
For this recipe, I used the bundt cake pan.
The advantage of the bundt design is to allow the heat to be evenly distributed along your cake, baking it perfectly inside and out.
You may choose to use any size cake pan, however. Just make sure you’re checking it frequently after approximately 20 minutes.
The perfect bourbon-infused keto cake
Here in my home state of Kentucky, we put bourbon in everything- and baked treats are no exception.
However, if you’re not a fan of whiskey, simply omit it from the icing part of the recipe and it will still be just as tasty without it. You can still, of course, still add the sugar-free maple syrup.
Will my cake become soggy or fall apart if I add the extra glaze?
Not at all. In fact, this cake holds up beautifully at room temperature for days!
What can I serve with spice cake?
A cup of coffee, iced latte, large scoop of sugar-free vanilla ice cream or fresh berries are a perfect match for this cake.
This cake is an especially delicious treat for breakfast and it will last throughout the work week. I typically make this or my no bake keto cookies during meal preps.
No bourbon? Use rum instead.
No nuts? Try thin banana slices or garnish with apple chips.
No cream cheese for icing? Try sugar-free jello pudding as a “frosting” (low carb, not keto).
Keto Spice Cake with Maple Bourbon Glaze
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup confectioners erythritol
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp baking poder
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups fine almond flour
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ tbsp confectioners erythritol
- 3 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
- 3 tbsp crushed pecans or walnuts optional
Bourbon Glaze- optional
- 2 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Mix softened butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Then, add in all other ingredients and mix well.
- Add mixture to treated (with spray or butter) bundt pan or baking pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until knife comes out clean and edges begin to brown.
- Soften cream cheese in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Mix cream cheese, erythritol, and 3 tbsp maple syrup together. Heat in microwave for approximately 40 seconds. Pour over cake.
- Optional: Mix additional maple syrup and bourbon, then add per piece if desired.
If you like this boozy cake, you’ll love:
- Bourbon Bacon and Swiss Burger
- Blueberry Almond Milk Smoothie
- Bourbon Candied Pecans
- Baked BBQ Bourbon Chicken
This recipe was inspired by this Boozy Irish Whiskey cake from All Recipes.
How much baking powder? I don’t see it listed in the ingredients…
We made this for brunch last Sunday and it was amazing. From one Kentucky girl to another, this is simply delicious!